lpc1998's Home

Original Posting: New Political System for the Information Age Draft #05

In reponse to NPS looks good - [Bernard Clayson]
Email: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 17:37:37 -0700

NPS drafting does need lots of help from experienced and knowledgeable people
Sunday, 27 June 2004 23:30 Singapore

Bernard Clayson said:

“….. I am now 'IN' politics as a parish councillor, I also stood for election as a district councilor

http://www.planet-thanet.fsnet.co.uk/thanet-villages/

Did not succeed, but I have leaned a lot in the process, not least of which is the 'people', getting any sort of cohesion going is truly like 'herding cats'.”

Yes, you are right. The ‘people’ is the weakest link in the NPS too. That is why in the NPS, voter education is considered to be of paramount importance. This is a huge area for thought and discussion and I hope that there would be opportunity some time in the future to discuss this with you.
“Before I forget, Jiri Polak publishes a hard-copy of WDD Newsletter, I offered to publish it on one of my sites, to which he agreed, his articles are the leader to all his newsletters, followed by extracts from around the world (how he does it amazes me).”
From the little I have read of his articles, he appears to be not only an original thinker, but also a master of words and has the courage to tell the truth as he knows it. I shall one day invite him to comment on the NPS too.
“I have had a quick look at your site and it looks good

1)I would suggest you reduce the size of the flow-chart, it's difficult to get the over-all picture whilst shifting the screen to see the composite pieces.”

Thank you for your suggestion. This problem arises from the conversion from the doc.file to html. And the editing of the html to correct it would take an enormous amount of time, and I have yet to figure out a better way of correcting the problem. In the meantime, if you close all the side windows on the screen such as ‘Favourite’, the flow-chart can be seen in one screen without having to scroll left or right.

“2) Caution with using the internet for voting etc. I thought that ...... until I looked in to the subject, it's so full of holes that it does not hold water. Like a lot of things, it would be OK 'when' everything else is in place, but not until then.”

You are right again. For this reason, the NPS has retained voting at the polling station with a signed hard copy for the ballot box. See the voting procedures for the citizens’ initiative as an example.

“3) Of the elements that make up government i.e. people, politicians, legal, and civil servants, the least noticed is the power of the last one, the ones that DO government. …..”
I agree with you here. :)
“…. Politicians are the least of the problem, in reality they are only there for the people to throw abuse at i.e. take the blame.”
Here I must disagree with you. Hmm … this is a view of the politicians. Politicians who aspire to be national, state or community leaders must provide leadership to both the people and the civil service, the later the more so as it is not only under their control, but also their responsibility.
“4) Politics is about perceptions, be careful of getting to locked in to your perception without judging it from others perspective.”
Fully agree with you. That is why the NPS discussion here is presented as a 'Draft' for consideration, amendments or additions by the readers or participants. The final version at the end of the NPS journey could be very different from its first version
“5) I try to keep to a simple maxim KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid), never achieve it but do try, it always runs in to conflict with not explaining enough, and verbose which switches people concentration off.”
A simple maxim may be useful generally, but there are times when the situations require responses that are appropriate to the circumstances.
“6) Are you on any internet discussion groups? ”
Yes, I do. With 2 groups at the moment. One is the NPSForum set up by me recently and other I am a member by special circumstances.
“I am on about 50 of very diverse subjects (they all make up what government is about i.e. management of resources) .”
You are in an advanced stage of development here. Would you like to support the NPSForum by posting there a message which you consider to be important or useful? If this is so, I shall be most happy to send you an invitation to join the NPSForum which at the moment is very quiet with only 6 members, all of whom are from the now defunct STIC (chatrooms)
“Good luck, and contact me if I can help in any way.”
Thank you for the good wishes and for your offer of help. Yes, I do need lots of help from very experienced and knowledgeable people like you in drafting the NPS. It would be excellent, if you could consider the version of the NPS proposed here as a second version of the New Political System that is worth considering.

There is one thing I would like to ask you. NPS-UK as proposed by you is constituency-based: Members of Parliament, local officials, councilors, etc represent the constituencies that elect them. In the circumstances, aren’t they accountable first to their constituents and for their interests above everything and everyone else? Isn’t this parochial and the encouragement of parochialism?

Best Regards

Replies by:

1. Bernard Clayson