lpc1998's Home

Original Posting: New Political System for the Information Age Draft #05

In reponse to Re: Re(2): How is the Committee of Lay People appointed? (part 2) - [Bernard Clayson]
Email: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 21:38:32 -0700

Bernard's worst case scenario when the President is vested with both the executive and legislative powers
Saturday, 17 July 2004 17:30 Singapore

[Bernard Clayson]:

“My suggestion is the community choses the best person, the 'community' is extended each time they are elevated up the hirearchy until the 'community' is the country in the case of the PM.
So who is he/she going to 'bribe' to keep the position of PM.”

[lpc1998]:

“If this is the case, then we are substantially in full agreement on by whom the national leader is to be elected. In the your NPS, the PM is directly elected by all the people in the country, whom you prefer to call them as the PM's 'community', whereas, in the New Political System for the Information Age, the President is also directly elected by all the people called the 'people'. In essence what you call the PM, I call the President.”

[Bernard Clayson]:

“The only difference that I could see was the executive and judicial (legislative) powers, those functions should not be combined, and I am not too happy with the executive function either.
Power begets power, delegated functions needed to be carefully described before being given.”
You are right that the powers constitutionally vested in the PM in your NPS are radically different from the those of the President in the New Poltical System for the Information Age. The full agreement I refer to above is limited to on "by whom the national leader is to be elected".

Now you have raised the objection to the vesting of both the executive and legislative powers in the President. This is a very substantive issue.

Would you put forward the worst case scenario when the President is vested with both the executive and legislative powers as proposed in the NPS Draft #05?

Best Regards

Replies by:

1. Bernard Clayson